Cell Phone: 727-510-2355
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Jeffrey Waks Helps business leaders make sound focused business decisions by providing value add as an experienced leader, futurist and builder, driven accounting and financial analysis professional with comprehensive business analytical, technical, and management abilities. Skilled in leading and collaborating with teams of cross-functional professionals to drive progress, leverage technology, monetize data, increase productivity and ensure compliance. Expertise in multiple sectors including private, public and non-profits. Skilled in GAAP, GAAS, GASB, business intelligence, financial data analysis, modeling, software implementation and project management.
Accountant and Financial Analyst: Boutique Accounting Services, Inc. Professional Services 2/2020 – Present
- High powered accounting, financial analysis, training, education, tax, risk management and business advisory services to corporations and individuals that empowers flexible, accurate and quick decision making
Financial Analyst: ALA, State Tax Solutions, Realtec Group, Inc., Grinder Wear Parts, Peak Payer 8/2016 – 02/2020
Real Estate, Construction, Health Care, Software, Distribution
- Devised reconciliation of billing system, implement budget, fixed assets, board reporting in Great Plains, FRX management reporter. Financials, workflow documentation, month end, journal entries, KPI’s, overhead allocations, payroll budget, accounts payable and receivable billing. Multi state sales, use and property tax compliance. ERP software QA, SAGE 300
- Real Estate investor and fund accounting, month end, financial analysis, reconciliations, equity fund accounting
Tax Accountant: Trinity Services Group, Inc – Food Service and Commissary 3/2015 – 8/2016
- Multi State tax compliance and filing of sales, use, property, tobacco, gross receipts, occupational and franchisee taxes, journal entries. Recover $5,000 and monitor unclaimed property, managed outsourced tax provider. Create workflow instructions, SAPB1. Reduced sales tax and income tax penalties approximately $65,000, update tax rates
- Rectified issues for closed units for property taxes on assets, notices of unrecorded liabilities. Reduced property tax payments on closed units saving $70,000. Created liability reconciliation for 42 state sales tax accounts
Senior Accountant LIPH Section 8: Tampa Housing Authority Nonprofit Property Management 1/2013 – 3/2015
- General ledger analysis, journal entries, monthly close, fixed assets, budgets, bank reconciliations, board reports, HUD filings on time with no errors, property management accounting, multiple entities and cost centers, projects, grants
- Restated 2014 financials using Excel, provided Congressional HUD committee reports for audit, Yardi Voyager.
- Devised overhead program allocations to properties for accurate measurement of prepaids, accruals, board reports
Staff Accountant: Abilities of Florida/Homes for Independence Nonprofit Property Management 11/2010 – 5/2012
- Real estate, property management, month end, financials, FAS fixed assets, 68 bank reconciliations, payables, 21 intercompany accounts, balance sheet reconciliations, budgets, forecast, Solomon ERP, payroll journals.
Finance Manager: Electronics Manufacturing, Rumex, EEI Manufacturing, Pitney Bowes, Leader Tech, Inc., National Properties Trust, Aerosonic, MDT, HUD, Various Engagements 5/2007 – 11/2010 and 8 – 12/2012
- Perform general ledger analysis, journal entries, monthly close, standard cost, SOX compliance, MAS200
- Set up warehouse, accounts payable, payroll, inventory, cash flow budgets. Multi state sales, use, property tax, accounts receivable, billing, collections, uncovered unprofitable products, re-priced for profit recovering $400,000, job cost, price variance. Uncovered over investment in inventory to obtain $75,000. Cleaned up MRP, Work in Process, Sales order, cycle counts. Aided in setup of government grant for electronics testing school. MS Query external database mining.
Senior Staff and Tax Accountant: IVANS, Inc. Telecommunication and Software 3/2006 – 5/2007
- Prepare and file Multi state sales, use, and property, excise, and telecommunication, taxes, ACH, EFT payments. Perform general ledger analysis, journal entries, revenue recognition, month end close processes, audit schedules. Financial investment transactions recording and analysis, accruals, and prepaid, bank reconciliations, Platinum
- Uncovered e-commerce deferred revenue recognition issue with billing. Used software tools to clean up deferred revenue, initiated processes to maintain data with IT, saved $15,000. Results: Correct measurement of revenue. Revamped sales tax system not meeting filing deadlines, and out of compliance with states’ tax codes. Aided in Voluntary Disclosure Agreement reducing sales tax in Florida. Results: Reduce tax, accurate timely filings, eliminate penalties and risk of litigation, saving company $50,000 from prior years penalties and interest, update tax rates
Division Controller: Circa Telecom USA, Inc. Manufacturer and Telecommunication 4/2004 – 2/2006
- Managed staff employees; accounting, warehouse, human resource departments, payroll management, training, team building and reviews, commissions, billing, fixed assets, general ledger, audit, internal control
- SOX Compliance, year-end audit, operations management, ERP Syspro. Excel and Access, MS Query external database mining.
- Financial statements, cash management, standard cost inventory analysis, budget coordination, sales analytics.
- Analyzed cost of operation with the goal of reducing operating costs. Streamlined accounting processes, Renegotiated equipment leases, sub-let a vacant facility, and engaged PEO staff leasing/payroll and reduced staff headcount. Reorganized warehouse, IT and accounting responsibilities. Results: Cut costs, increased productivity and realized an annual savings of over $250,000. Aide in obtaining IRS transfer pricing refund of $175,000.
Accounting Manager: Sensor Systems, LLC Electronics Manufacturing 7/2000 – 4/2004
- Responsibilities: General ledger, Fixed assets, financial statements, month, year-end close, audit, report to CEO.
- Maintain bank reporting and relationship, actual cost and inventory analysis, journal entries, accruals and prepaid.
- Develop reports with Visual Manufacturing ERP for material relief using bill of material and costing processes.
- Analyzed company assets, debts to find resources to increase cash flow. Aided CEO in preparation of all inventory and financials for the municipal bond to purchase the building. Results: Improved cash flow that helped company meet obligations and strengthened the company financial position. Assumed the task of developing a process to improve reporting of pricing, cost and profit recognition. Developed a low-cost interim solution using Access, managed a programmer to create reports from the database, saved $15,000. Results: The new reporting system tracked pricing, margins, profit, provided proper material relief, on the income statement, reduced carrying costs.
Owner Accounting Software Implementation Analyst: Business System Solutions Software Implementation and Service 3/1994-7/2000
- Technical sales, marketing, product demonstration, customer service, project implementation management Integrate workflow into accounting Armor ERP software for: manufacturing, construction, retail, wholesale, distribution, service and real estate entities using data models, payroll and taxes, fixed assets, standard and actual inventory, work with CEO’s. Realized six figure savings through usage of technology. MS Query external database mining.
- Provide training, manuals, cost reduction and productivity by systematizing and organizing accounting systems.
- Setup general ledger, payroll, cost and financial reporting systems for small to mid-size business’, WAN/LAN, Citrix
- Analyzed startup retail operation needing point of sales system Thanksgiving season. Effect: No system No sales, No Income. Solution: Worked as team to install and set up small company retail operation and train users in Naples Florida around the clock. Result: Retail point of sale system successfully up and operational as people walked into the door
Accounting Supervisor: Firmenich, Inc. Food Flavor Manufacturer 7/1991-3/1994
- Full cycle accounting, transactions accounts payable and receivable through financials in a manual system.
- Issue: manual accounting. Effect: Slow error prone reporting. Answer: Setup SBT for accounts payable, and receivable, general ledger. Results: Timely and accurate closings. Reduced property taxes by $35,000 via assessment reduction in Pinellas county court.
General Components, Inc. Electronic Components Manufacturer 07/87-07/91
- Responsibilities: standard cost system and labor system interface to payroll for all departments, month and year end, cycle counts, accruals and schedules. Budget preparation and variance reporting, payroll and taxes.
- Issue: No interface of job cost and payroll. Effect: Poorly costed job order system. No control of variances. Answer: Set up budget variance analysis reporting by department, code timecards with jobs and steps. Results: Control of costs, variances
Assistant Controller: 06/1985-06-1987
Henderson Prestress Concrete, Inc. Concrete Materials Manufacturer and Installer
- Perform standard cost system, cycle count, journal entries, bank reconciliations, payroll tax, Accounts receivable, litigation, liens. Develop standard cost profitability reporting by product line, month end close; for construction contractor and materials manufacturer, credit and collection, accrual and prepaid.
University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL Bachelor of Arts: Major: Accounting Minor: Finance and Economics
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI: Hayworth College of Business
St. Petersburg College: Continuing Education in Software and Business (CPE)
Microsoft Office Suite, (ODBC)•Google Apps•Word Press Web Sites• •ERP•Armor Advantage Premiere•Data Pro Infinity•Sage Fixed Asset (FAS)•ACT•MAS 200• •Peachtree•QuickBooks•Platinum•Ross•SAGE 300•True Commerce•Drake Tax •SAPB1•SBT•Solomon•Syspro •Visual Manufacturing•Computer Ease•Yardi Voyager•RIA One Source•BNA•ADP•Lotus•Crystal•FRX•AccPac•Mangement Reporter•Great Plains•Ultipro•Expensify
Skills To Offer History – Taxation (State, Sales, Property, Federal, Payroll, Personal and Corporate), Accounting, Financial and Data Analysis, Planning and Modeling, ERP Software Implementation, Decision Making, Problem Solving, Business Acumen, Budgeting, Macro and Micro Econometric Acumen, Risk Mitigation, Research Capability, Audit Compliance, Lien Litigation, Investment Management.
Educational History – Diploma Southfield Lathrup Senior High, Bachelor of Arts Accounting, Minor Finance University of West Florida. Western Michigan University Hayworth College of Business. Continuing Education (over 150 credit hours) in Software: ERP, Spreadsheet, Microsoft Office, Productivity Software. Business: Business Issues, Dale Carnegie, Manufacturing, Conflict Resolution, Competition.
Work History – Industries: Service, Software Implementation, Manufacturing, Distribution, Retail, Government, Construction, Real Estate, Non-Profit.
- 1987 – Implement manual and computerized cost accounting system – Henderson Prestress, Inc.
- 1990 – Implement job cost and payroll interface for project profitability reporting.
- 1992 – Converted manual accounting to automated accounting system – Firmenich.
- 1992 – Won $35,000 per year property tax reduction in Pinellas County – Firmenich.
- 1994 – 2000 – Project Manager of 25 ERP system implementations- Business System Solutions. Set up software and accounting systems for manufacturing, retail and distribution companies saving time, reducing costs and maintaining proper financial reports for decision making by systematizing and organizing software and work flow.
- 2003 – Created Cost/Profitability reporting system for – Sensor Systems, LLC; leading to proper material relief providing accurate profitability measurement using Access and ERP.
- 2005 – Cash Flow management providing $7.8 Million per year in free cash flow to parent company Circa Telecom Canada for investment in foreign currency as hedge.
- 2006 – Reduced operating costs by $250,000 per year – Circa Telecom USA, Inc. Reduce head count through reassignment of duties exploiting employee strengths, reduced PEO costs.
- 2007 – Brought multi state sales tax system into compliance – IVANS, Inc. saving $50,000 in fines.
- 2009 – Reduced inventory carrying costs by $70,000, Cleaned up MRP system to provide exposure to forecast for proper planning, exposed $400,000 pricing error to give owner new negotiating power. – EEI Manufacturing, Inc. Increased margins forward. Implemented weekly cash flow flash for owner’s ability to manage business.
- 2010 – Secure and sign lease for new warehouse, organize and systematize new facility for inventory shipping and security. Reduce overall organization cost of inventory by maintaining accurate perpetual system with periodic cycle and physical counts saving Rumex International, Inc. $250,000 per year.
- 2012 – Completed HUD FDS REAC filing on time with no errors – Tampa Housing Authority.
- 2013 – Reconcile out of compliance fixed asset system correcting subsidiary detail and tie to general ledger to reflect accurate net book values by asset and cost center for Tampa Housing Authority.
- 2014 – Restated 2014 financials, provided Congressional HUD oversight committee with reports for Tampa Housing Authority.
- 2015 – Audit, review and correct entire sales and property tax system to bring into compliance for sales, food tax rates, item tax-ability status while under audit in Alabama, California, and New York. Provide savings for audit, penalties and interest. Saving company $100,000 in property and sales tax penalties and interest. Increase cash flow by $250,000 per year from new efficiencies in point of sales tax system for Trinity Services Group, Inc.
- 2016 – Implement sales tax balance sheet reconciliation for 42 states. Win property tax reductions Elpaso Texas. Expose and end double paid unit’s property taxes saving $50,000.
- 2017 – Implement in Great Plains FRX management reporter, budget variance reporting, board budget vs actual income statement, fixed asset system, aid in billing reconciliation process for medical service outsource provider. Improve financial reporting system for Peak Payor Systems, Inc.
- 2018 – Implement budget and fixed asset system for manufacturing entity Grinder Wear Parts, Inc.
- 2019 – Financial Analysis for Four-billion-dollar multifamily Real Estate investment portfolio for American Landmark Apartments Investor Group.
- 2020 – Word Press Web Site setup, implementation and maintenance
- 2020 – Implement new accounting and internal control procedures, KPI analytics system in Access and Excel, Cash-flow forecasting model and tool for multi-unit and country reporting, accounts receivable and payable inter- company and agent reporting system for multi country reporting for freight forwarders’ services financial and predicative analysis and business intelligence reporting for competitive pricing and customer analytics for Euro Cargo Express, Inc.